J. Nicholas EntrikinDepartment of Geography
1255 Bunche Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1524
f: 310.206.5976 (dept. office)
office: 1121 BUNCHE
EducationPh.D. Geography, University of Wisconsin-Madison 1975
Geography of Europe
Principal Investigator, “Geographical Literacy with an English-Learner Focus”, Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education (FIPSE), U.S. Department of Education, $460,000
-John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship,1984.
-Wallace W. Atwood Lecturer, Graduate School of Geography, Clark University, 1988.
-Honorary Visiting Director of Research, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS), IRSAM-S.E.T., Université de Pau et Pays de L’Adour, France,1994.
-Choon Piew Pow, (2006, Assistant Prof., National University of Singapore)
-Timothy Fargo, ABD
-Nicolas Howe, ABD (NSF Graduate Fellow)
-John Neff, ABD (Co-Chair)
-John Slifko, ABD
- “Place Destruction and Cultural Trauma”. In J.Alexander and I. Reed, editors, Culture in the World V. 1: Cultural Sociology and the Democratic Imperative. Yale Cultural Sociology Series, Paradigm Press: Boulder, forthcoming.
- “The Pyrenees as Place: Lefebvre as Guide” (with Vincent Berdoulay), Progress in Human Geography, 29, 2005, 129-47.
- The Marshall Plan Today: Model and Metaphor, (co-edited with John Agnew). London: Routledge Publishers, 2004.
- “Political Community, Identity and Cosmopolitan Place” International Sociology 14, 1999, 269-282. Re-printed in Mabel Berezin and Martin Schain, editors, Re-mapping Europe, Johns Hopkins University Press, 2004.
- “Democratic Place-Making and Multiculturalism,” Geografiska Annaler, Series B, 84, 2002, 19-25.
- The Characterization of Place. Wallace W. Atwood Lecture, Graduate School of Geography, Clark University, Clark University Press, Worcester, Mass., 1992.
- The Betweenness of Place: Toward a Geography of Modernity. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1991.
- Reflections on Richard Hartshorne's The Nature of Geography (co-edited with Stanley Brunn). Occasional Publications, Association of American Geographers, 1989
Edit This Page