Allen J ScottDepartment of Geography
1255 Bunche Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1524
f: 310.206.5976 (dept. office)
office: 1144 Bunche Hall
EducationOxford University, B.A., 1961
Northwestern University, M.A., 1962 (Geography and African Studies)
Northwestern University, Ph.D., 1965 (Geography)
Urbanization and Globalization
The Cultural Economy of Cities
Industrial Organization and Location
Sir Peter Hall Prize, Regional Studies Association, 2013.
Annual Award, Association of Latin Economists, 2013.
Academic Icon, University of Malaya, 2012.
Doctor Honoris Causa, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, 2011.
Anders Retzius Gold Medal, Swedish Society for Anthropology and Geography, 2009.
Carol and Bruce Mallen Lifetime Achievement Award for Published Scholarly Constributions to the Motion Picture Industry, 2008.
Hallsworth Visiting Professor, University of Manchester, May, 2006.
Meridian Book Prize for 2006 awarded for "On Hollywood: The Place, the Industry," (Princeton University Press).
Wibaut Chair, University of Amsterdam, April, 2006.
Chaire d'Excellence Pierre de Fermat, University of Toulouse-Le Mirail, March-September, 2005.
Clarendon Lectures in Geography and Environmental Studies, Oxford University, May, 2005
First Trust Bank Chair of Innovation, Centre for Creative Industry, Queen's University, Belfast, 2004
Vautrin Lud International Geography Prize, 2003
Elected Fellow of the British Academy, 1999
André Siegfried Chair, Institut d'Etudes Politiques, Paris, 1999.
Borchard Foundation Scholar, 1997.
Honors Award, Association of American Geographers, 1987
Guggenheim Fellow 1986-1987
Croucher Fellow, University of Hong Kong, 1984
- A World in Emergence: Cities and Regions in the 21st Century, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2012.
- Social Economy of the Metropolis: Cognitive-Cultural Capitalism and the Global Resurgence of Cities, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Geography and Economy (Clarendon Lectures in Geography and Environmental Studies), Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- On Hollywood: The Place, the Industry, Princeton University Press, 2005.
- The Cultural Economy of Cities, London: Sage 2000.
- Regions and the World Economy, (Oxford University Press, 1998)
- Technopolis: High-Technology Industry and Regional Development in Southern California, Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Pres, 1993.
- New Industrial Spaces: Flexible Production Organization and Regional Development in North America and Western Europe, London: Pion, 1988.
- Metropolis: From the Division of Labor to Urban Form, Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1988.
- The Urban Land Nexus and the State, London: Pion, 1981
- Combinatorial Programming, Spatial Analysis and Planning, London: Methuen, 1971.
Edit This Page