Ph.D. in Geography, University of California, Berkeley 1986.
Fields of Study
2012 Distinguished Scholarship Honor, Association of American Geographers
2012 Robert McC. Netting Award in recognition of distinguished research and professional activities that bridge geography and anthropology, Association of American Geographers.
2012 Carl O. Sauer Distinguished Scholarship Award, Conference of Latin Americanist Geographers, Association of American Geographers.
2010 Frederick Douglass Book Prize, Gilda Lehrman Center for the Study of Slavery, Resistance, and Abolition, for In the Shadow of Slavery: Africa's Botanical Legacy in the Atlantic World (University of California Press, 2009).
2005-06 John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship
2005 Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio residency
2004 American Council of Learned Societies fellowship
2003 James M. Blaut Publication Award, Association of American Geographers for Black Rice: The African Origins of Rice Cultivation in the Americas (Harvard University Press, 2001).
2002 Melville Herskovits Book Award, African Studies Association, for Black Rice
2001 National Geographical Society (for research on quilombos, Brazil)
1997 Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research (quilombos, Brazil)
1996 UCLA Luckman Distinguished Teaching Award: Eby Award for undergraduate teaching
1988-89 John D. Rockefeller Foundation post-doctoral fellowship
- J. Carney. The Colombian Exchange, in Joe Miller (ed.) Princeton Companion to Atlantic History (New York: MTM Press), forthcoming.
- J. Carney. African Plant and Animal Species in Eighteenth-Century Tropical America, in Veronika Hyden-Hanscho; Renate Piper; Werner Stangl (eds.) Cultural Exchange and Consumption Patterns in the Age of Enlightenment Europe and the Atlantic World (Bochum: Winkler Verlag), pp. 97-115.
- H. Rangan, J. Carney, and T. Denham. Environmental History of Botanical Exchanges in the Indian Ocean World, Environment and History, 18, no.3 (2012): 311-342.
- B. Crow and J. Carney. Commercializing Nature: Mangrove Conservation and Female Oyster Collectors in The Gambia, Antipode, 45 (2) (2013): 275-293.
- J. Carney. "Landscapes and Places of Memory: African Diaspora Research and Geography," in Tejumola Olaniyan and James H. Sweet (eds.), The African Diaspora and the Disciplines (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2010), pp.101-118.
- W. Moseley, J. Carney, and L. Becker “Neoliberal Policy Reform, Food Production, and Household Livelihood Security in West Africa: A Comparative Study of the Gambia, Côte d’Ivoire, and Mali," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS)107,March 25, 2010: 5774-5779. (PDF)
- J. Carney and R.N. Rosomoff. In the Shadow of Slavery: Africa's Botanical Legacy in the Atlantic World (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2009). (PDF)
- J. Carney. Reconsidering Sweetness and Power through a Gendered Lens, Food and Foodways, 16, no.2 (2008):127-134. (PDF)
- J. Carney and M. Elias. "Revealing Gendered Landscapes: Indigenous Female Knowledge and Agroforestry of African Shea," Canadian Journal of African Studies, 40, no.2 (2006): 235-267. (PDF)
- J. Carney. "Rice and Memory in the Age of Enslavement: Atlantic Passages to Suriname," Slavery and Abolition, 26, no.3 (2005): 325-347. (PDF)
- J. Carney. ‘With Grains in Her Hair’: Rice History and Memory in Colonial Brazil, Slavery and Abolition, 25 (1): 1-27 (2004). (PDF)
- J. Carney and R. Acevedo. Saberes agrícolas dos escravos africanos no Novo Mundo, Ciência Hoje, 35, no.205 (2004): 26-33. (PDF)
- J. Carney. Navegando Contra a Corrente: O Papel dos Escravos e da Flora Africana na Botânica do Período Colonial, África: Revista do Centro de Estudos Africanos, 22/23, no. 1 [1999-2001] (2004): 25-47.
- J. Carney and R. Voeks. "Landscape Legacies of the African Diaspora in Brazil," Progress in Human Geography, 27, no.2 (2003): 139-152. (PDF)
- J. Carney. African Traditional Plant Knowledge in the Circum-Caribbean Region, Journal of Ethnobiology, 23, no.2 (2003): 167-185. (PDF)
- J. Carney. African Rice in the Columbian Exchange, Journal of African History, 42, no.32 (2001):377-396. (PDF)
- J. Carney: Black Rice: The African Origins of Rice Cultivation in the Americas (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2001). (PDF)
- J. Carney and R. Acevedo Marin. Aportes dos escravos na história do cultivo do arroz africano nas Américas, Estudos Sociedade e Agricultura, 12 (1999): 113-133.
- J. Carney. The Role of African Rice and Slaves in the History of Rice Cultivation in the Americas, Human Ecology, 26, no.4: (1998): 525-545.
- J. Carney and M. Hiraoka. Raphia taedigera in the Amazon Estuary, Principes, 41, no.3 (1997): 125-130. (PDF)
African components of the Columbian Exchange; sub-Saharan Africa; Brazil; Mexico
Current Courses by Term
Previous Courses by Term
Africa and African Diaspora in the Americas
Previous Courses by Course
Africa and African Diaspora in the Americas
2003 Spring Quarter
Africa and African Diaspora in Americas
Food, Environment, and Agriculture
Food and Environment
2014 Spring Quarter
Cultural Geography of the Modern World
African Ecology and Development
2003 Winter Quarter
2004 Winter Quarter
2006 Winter Quarter
2000 Spring Quarter
2001 Spring Quarter
2002 Spring Quarter
2011 Fall Quarter
2007 Winter Quarter
2010 Spring Quarter
2010 Fall Quarter
2008 Winter Quarter
2009 Spring Quarter
2009 Winter Quarter
Problems in Geography: Culture and Environment in the Modern World
Problems in Geography: Culture and Environment in Modern World
2013 Fall Quarter
Advanced Cultural Geography
Seminar: Cultural Geography
Agriculture and Food Studies Colloquium