1987: Ph. D. - (Meteorology) University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, US.
1981: M. S. - (Atmospheric Physics) Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China.
- Xue, Y., F. De Sales, W. Li, C. R. Mechoso, C. Nobre, and H.-M. H. Juang, 2006: Role of land surface processes in South American monsoon development. J. Climate. 19, 741-762.
- Xue, Y., K.N. Liou, and A. Kasahara, 1990: Investigation of the biogeophysical feedback on the African climate using a two-dimensional model. J. Climate, 3, 337-352.
- Xue, Y., P. J. Sellers, J.L. Kinter III, and J. Shukla, 1991: A simplified biosphere model for global climate studies. J. Climate, 4, 345-364.
- Xue, Y. and J. Shukla, 1993: The influence of land surface properties on Sahel climate. Part I: Desertification. J. Climate , 6, 2232-2245.
- Xue, Y., 1996: The Impact of desertification in the Mongolian and the Inner Mongolian grassland on the regional climate. J. Climate, 9, 2173-2189.
- Xue, Y., F. J. Zeng, K. Mitchell, and Z. Janjic, E. Rogers, 2001: The impact of land surface processes on the simulation of the U.S. hydrological cycle: A case study of 1993 US flood using the Eta/SSiB regional model. Mon. Wea. Rev. , 129, 2833-2860.
- Xue, Y., H.-M. H. Juang, W. Li, S. Prince, R. DeFries, Y. Jiao, R. Vasic, 2004: Role of land surface processes in monsoon development: East Asia and West Africa. J. Geophy. Res., 109, D03105, doi:10.1029/2003JD003556.
- Xue, Y., S. Sun, J.-M. Lau, J. Ji, I. Poccard, H.-S. Kang, R. Zhang, G. Wu, J. Zhang, J. Schaake, and Y. Jiao, 2005, Multiscale variability of the river runoff system in China and its link to precipitation and sea surface temperature. J. Hydrometeorology, 6, 550-570.
Land surface model (Simplified Simple Biosphere Model, SSiB)development, including biophysical processes, photosynthesis process, cryospheric processes, and dynamic vegetation processes.
Atmosphere-land surface coupling processes and hydrometeorological prediction, focusing on the impact of land-surface processes, including vegetation biophysical processes, land-cover and land use change, and land-surface parameters and parameterizations, on regional climate and global climate variability and anomalies, with a special emphasis on monsoon systems, and the mechanism involved.
Remote sensing methodology for atmospheric and land surface variables, and application of remote sensing products in prediction studies.
Areas of active research include West Africa, South America, Continental U.S., and East Asia.